History of Communication Technology Timeline: Types & Pros
We can see the massive change in the technology field, from web 1.0 to web 3.0 now, internet, smart TV, home auto system etc added day by day.
The medium of communication technology has improved unbelievably.
From one-to-one calls to Now we talk in a video conference.
In next future, some big giant company try to build a metaverse for motley communication purposes.
Everything has a starting point where it began, before understating the new communication technology investigation, you should the past history of communication technology.
However, you may be busy like me, so that’s the reason you can at glance see the history of communication technology timeline in the down below.
Table of Content
- History of Communication Technology
- History of Communication Technology Timeline
- Types of Communication Technology
- The Advantage and Disadvantages of Communication Technology
History of Communication Technology
History was beginning when the world was created and humans was appearing. So let’s begin with that story.
History began with smoke communication, the use of smoke signals and drums in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. 1970 semaphore system was invented in Europe. The telecommunication system started in 1830.
In the 4th century BC, the Greek hydraulic semaphore system was used. In 1790 French engineer Claude chapped began his work in telegraphy, using the Paris of “clock” and this clock’s hand pointed in different symbols.
Swedish engineer Abraham edelcrantz made other systems from Stockholm to Drottningholm in 1794. Semaphore was suffering from the need for skilled operators. Finally, in 1880, the last commercial line was abandoned.
Communication with electricity was unsuccessfully started in about 1726. the scientists Laplace, and ampere Gauss were involved in this work. German physicians created the electrochemical telegraph.
In 1804 and 1809 Samuel Thomas von simmering, Spanish polymath and scientist Francisco Salva Campillo were working together on the development of electrical telegraphy. And they designed it with up to 35 multiple wires.
And finally, the first working Telegraph was invented in 1816 and worked by Francis Ronaldo and used static electricity. In 1838 Charles Wheatstone and William Fothergill Cooke evident five meddle six-wire system which entered commercial.
History of Communication Technology Timeline
Visual, Auditory and Ancillary Methods (Non-Electrical)
- Prehistoric: Fires, Beacons, Smoke signals, Communication drums, Horns
- 6th century BCE: Mail
- 5th century BCE: Pigeon post
- 4th century BCE: Hydraulic semaphores
- 1500 Korean hwacha net uses hwachas arrows to send emails throughout a town.
- 15th century CE: Maritime flag semaphores
- 1672: First experimental acoustic telephone
- 1790: Semaphore lines
- 1867: Signal lamps
- 1877: Acoustic phonograph
- 1900; optical picture
Basic Electrical Signals
- 1838: Electrical telegraph.
- The 1830s: Beginning of attempts to develop wireless telegraph systems’1858: First trans-Atlantic telegraph cable
- 1876: Telephone. See: Invention of the telephone, History of the telephone, Timeline of the telephone
- 1880: Telephony via light beam photophones
Advanced Electrical and Electronic Signals
- 1896: First practical wireless telegraphy systems based on Radio.
- 1900: first television displayed only black and white images.
- 1914: First North American transcontinental telephone calling
- 1927: Television.
- 1927: First commercial radio-telephone service, U.K.–U.S.
- 1930: First experimental videophones
- 1934: First commercial radio-telephone service, U.S.–Japan
- 1936: World’s first public videophone network
- 1946: Limited capacity Mobile Telephone Service for automobiles
- 1947: First working transistor
- 1950: Semiconductor era begins
- 1956: Transatlantic telephone cable
- 1959: Metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor1962: Commercial telecommunications satellite
- 1964: Fiber optical telecommunications
- 1965: First North American public videophone network
- 1969: Computer networking
- 1972: Discrete cosine transform digital media data compression
- 1973: First modern-era mobile phone
- 1974: Internet
- 1979: INMARSAT ship-to-shore satellite communications
- 1981: First mobile phone network
- 1982: SMTP email
- 1998: Mobile satellite hand-held phones
- 2003: VoIP Internet Telephony
Types of Communication Technology
Communication is the main thing that broadcast information to a vast audience. The world is all connected to a network of cables and satellites.
Technology is classified into how fast we can communicate with others and connect every time.
1. Telephone/Mobile Phone
Nowadays the mobile phone is the most common telecommunication system. Everyone knows about this device. In 1876 in March Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone.
First-time the telephone was a landline to communicate with other countries.
The first cell phone was invented in 1973 and Dr Martin Cooper made the first call to his rival at Bell Labs. From then to now Mobile phone updates really fast.
Small cheaps, developed protected screens, Long-lasting batteries, etc were invented successfully. Samsung, Sony, Huawei,iPhone Apple are the worldwide company of cellphones.
Radio is not a much likely network now but once upon a time, this was the main system of telecommunication. In the 1900s and 1910s, early radio communication was used by sea, vessels for communication with other ships.
After some years radio started with advertising but the producers realized that people could not enjoy the Radio unless they were not fascinating.
Then the Radio producer decided to make Drama Programs. After that, the radio became popular day by day in late 1929 and early 1930. In September 2011 the FCC reported that there were 14865 radio stations only in the U.S.
In 1947 in US full-scale television was first broadcasted. The inventor Lee Deforest tells that- while theoretically and technically television may be feasible, and financially it is impossible”.
In 2010 over 15 million Tvs with 99 per cent of households reported owning at least one set in the USA. Now hundreds of tv channels are casting tv and covering everything like- Sports, acting, entertainment, music, reality show, and even game events.
Firstly white and black tv was invented, which was no Colour pack system and did not even function. In this era, there are smart TVs with HD Colour systems. Those TVs are also connected to the broadband system so one can easily browse anything.
The computer is the best invention of Communication technology. The first computer is used for calculations. Then the investor can realize that computer was more than a calculator.
The calculator computer was invented in the 20th century. Then to now, the computer was updated with Its new software. There are many kinds of computers.
- Analog computer
- Digital Computer
- Mainframe Computer
To count the physical magnitude analogue computer is used. In the 1960s after the digital computer invention, the use of the analogue computer is fully closed.
In the 1930s and 1940s in the United States, Britain, and Germany the digital Computer began. Digital computer processing system made with binary digits orbit.
International Business Machines Corporation(IBM), and other companies made large, expansive computers of increasing power In the 1950s and 1960s. Those are used for Government research laboratories purpose in major corporations. Those computers are also called mainframes.
A supercomputer is the most powerful computer of all of them. It is very expensive also. It is used for weather forecasting, nuclear simulation, and government-sponsored research. Some technical systems of supercomputers are in common use In PCs today.
In the mid, 1960s minicomputer was invented. It is small and inexpensive. Minicomputers were used in a single Department of an Organization or in a small group.
The microcomputer is a small computer that is built with a microprocessor integrated circuit or chip. Our laptop is one kind of Microcomputer. In 1972 the Intel Corporation produced the first microprocessor.
A satellite is a device that places in spaceflight orbit for analyzing space. The Soviet Union launched the first artificial satellite on 4 October 1957. Since then to now, 8900 satellites are launched from more than 40 countries.
The Internet came about in the 1990s as a result of a number of previous telecommunications projects such as ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) that were used primarily by the military.
The previous idea was to connect one computer to another in the milliary camp. Transferring data from one computer to another is the basic idea of the internet.
So in today’s date phones, laptops also have internet facilities. By using undersea cables the internet is used worldwide and 2.5 billion people use the internet.
The best thing about the internet is, that it does vast work but is wireless and any device can be connected to this. Email, Facebook, instant massaging, voice and video calls or chat are also the blessing of the internet.
The Advantage and Disadvantages of Communication Technology
From this Communication technology, People can communicate from one corner to another corner of the world. So study, doing business, or any kind of Job is done easily by the Marcy of this technology.
- Businessmen can be connected easily with their customers even if they are in different countries.
- Students can learn from foreign teachers with meet, google, and browsing their important thing also.
- By satellite, we can know about weather forecasting, up Coming cyclones, and analyze the orbits of the earth.
- We can chat, make calls, and see our friends and family in video calls from one side to the other side of this world.
- The IT section is opening. so many jobless are getting a job.
- Lack of relationship building with our family and friends.
- Children are addicted to mobiles, laptops, and taps.
- Obesity problems are increasing.
- Eay problems, heart problems are increasing.
- Radiation is increasing day by day in the air environment.
After all of this, we can say that communication Technology is the best part of the development of our technology but it has some problems also. But with the blessing of communication technology, we can do anything from staying at home. We get more time for learning more about life and technology. History to communication technology timeline will give the extra knowledge that you can observe all in one.